10/20/2011

Roman Rain!

Today has definitely been an adventure thus far! We woke up to an intense thunder storm this morning, which supposedly had been going on all last night, but thankfully I slept like a baby and didn't hear any of the storm. After class this morning, we found out that all of the underground subway trains were flooded and backed up with sewer water.....yuck. The underground is already pretty dirty, so seeing it flooded would not have been a pretty sight. Needless to say the subway was closed and we couldn't go on our sight visit to the Basilica of San Clemente. We were all kind of shocked because we are so used to rainy weather never affecting us in Ohio. But at the same time, many were glad that we didn't have to get completely soaked in the rain.

However, a few of us crazy people decided to go out in the rain anyway! Ron Scott, Steve, and I ventured out in the the pouring sheets of Italian rain, and walked up to Castel Gondolfo, the little village near our campus. I have to say, this was one of the best experiences I have ever had in my life! It was so much fun! We took the back way up to the village, mostly by accident, and saw so many amazing streets that were so authentically Italian it was insane. When we arrived in the main square we walked over to a road where we had a fantastic view of Lake Albano. Truly beautiful, really. Before heading back we stopped at a little Cafe and get espresso and a pastry. The espresso was so strong but perfect for warming us up, and the pastry was probably the best thing I have ever had in my life. We felt very Italian in the Cafe.

Someone mistook me for being Italian actually earlier in the day while we were walking up to the village. The woman asked me for directions, and I had to politely tell her that I had no idea how to speak Italiano. I was so proud though that I fit in with the Europeans. Yay!

Well, time to go...I have to go pack for Assisi and Perugia!
Ciao Bella!

1 comment:

  1. Wow I am going to have to learn Italian just to post to you blog lol :) I am so glad that you are having an amazing time!!!! I wish I could see what you get to see but maybe someday :) I love you and miss you. Ken ordered a web cam on Wen. so as soon as that comes in I will get on skype. I love you Bella!!!! Have fun :) Blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete